1. Fredlund, D. G., Morgenstern, N. R., and Widger, R. A., “Shear
strength of unsaturated soils”, Canadian Geotechnical Journal,
Vol. 15, No. 3, (1978), 313-321.
2. Steensen-Bach, J. O., Foged, N., and Steenfelt, J. S., “Capillary
induced stresses – fact or fiction?”, Ninth ECSMFE, Groundwater
Effects in Geotechnical Engineering, Dublin, (1987), 83–89.
3. Costa Y. D., Cintra J. C., and Zornberg J. G., “Influence of matric
suction on the results of plate load tests performed on a lateritic
soil Deposit”, Geotechnical Testing Journal, Vol. 26 No. 2,
4. Vanapalli S. K. and Mohamed F. M. O., “Bearing capacity of
model footings in unsaturated soils”, Experimental Unsaturated
Soil Mechanics, Springer Proceedings of the 2nd International
Conference on Unsaturated Soils, Weimar, Springer, (2007),
5. Vanapalli S. K. and Mohamed F. M. O., “Bearing capacity and
settlement of footing in unsaturated sands”, International
Journal of Geomate, Vol. 5, No. 1, (2013), 595-604.
6. Ajdari, M. and Esmailpour, A., “Experimental evaluation of the
influence of the level of the groundwater table on the bearing
capacity of circular footings”, Iranian Journal of Science and
Technology, Vol. 39, No. C2+, (2015), 497-510.
7. Vahedifard, F. and Robinson, J. E., “Unified method for
estimating the ultimate bearing capacity of shallow foundations
in variably saturated soils under steady flow”, Journal of
Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol. 142,
No. 4, (2015), 1–11.
8. Nouri Borujerdi, A., and Pak, A., “Numerical Evaluation of
Hydraulic Fracturing Pressure in a Two-Phase Porous Medium”,
International Journal of Engineering-Transactions B:
Applications, Vol. 15, No. 2, (2001) 125-134.
9. Sarlak, A., Saeedmonir, H., and Gheyretmand, C., “Numerical
and experimental study of soil-structure interaction in structures
resting on loose soil using laminar shear box”, International
Journal of Engineering-Transactions B: Applications, Vol. 30,
No. 11, (2017) 1654-1663.
10. Alonso, E. E., Gens, A., and Josa, A., “A constitutive model for
partially saturated soils”, Geotechnique, Vol. 40, No. 3, (1990)
11. Oh, W. T. and Vanapalli, S.K., “Modelling the applied vertical
stress and settlement relationship of shallow foundations in
saturated and unsaturated sands”, Canadian Geotechnical
Journal, Vol. 48, No. 3, (2011), 425-438.
12. Zhun, Y. and Vanapalli S. K., “Some aspects on numerical
modeling of model footing test on saturated and unsaturated
sands”, Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering,
(2012), Vol. 17, 2833-2850.
13. Ghorbani, J., Nazem, M., and Carter, J. P., “Numerical modelling
of multiphaseflow in unsaturated deforming porous media.”
Computers and Geotechnics, Vol. 71, (2016), 195–206.
14. Tang, Y., Taiebat, H. A., Russell, A. R., “Bearing capacity of
shallow foundations in unsaturated soil considering hydraulic
hysteresis and three drainage conditions”, International Journal
of Geomechanics, Vol.17, No. 6, (2016),1–13.
15. Oh , W. T. and Vanapalli S. K., “Modeling the stress versus
settlement behavior of shallow foundations in unsaturated
cohesive soils extending the modified total stress approach”, Soils
and Foundations, Vol. 58, (2018) 382–397
16. ASTM D5298-03, “Standard test method for measurement of soil
potential (suction) using filter paper”, American Society for
Testing Materials, Philadelphia, USA, (2003).
17. Fredlund D. G. and Xing A., “Equations for soil-water
characteristic curve”, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol. 13,
No. 3 (1994), 521-532.
18. Kulhawy, F. H. and Mayne, P. W., “Manual on Estimating Soil
Properties for Foundation Design”, Report No. EL-6800, Electric
Power Research Institute, Palo Alto, California, USA, (1990).
19. Meyerhof G. G., “Compaction of sands and the bearing capacity
of piles”, Journal of the Soil Mechanics and Foundations
Division ASCE, Vol. 85, No. 6, (1959), 1–29.
20. Bolton M. D., “The strength and dilatancy of sands”,
Géotechnique, Vol. 36, No. 1, (1986), 65–78.
21. Janbu, N., “Soil compressibility as determined by oedometer and
triaxial tests”, Proc. European Conference on Soil Mechanics and
Foundation Engineering, Weisbaden, Germany, (1963), 19–25.
22. Krabbenhoft, K., Lyamin, A., and Krabbenhoft, J., “Optum
computational engineering (OptumG2), Computer software,
Material Manual, (2016), Retrieved from