paper. The space vectors were selected and applied in
each PWM method based on maximum α-β voltage,
minimum z-component current, and CMV production.
Based on theoretical analysis and simulation results, it is
shown that just SVPWM-2 and SVPWM-5 methods with
lower amplitude in the α-β plane for symmetrical and
asymmetrical SPIM respectively are applicable. Both of
the PWM methods produce no CMV but SVPWM-5
produces a slight z1
current component while no zcomponent
current is generated by SVPWM-2 method.
The comparison of the number of switches state changing
during the sampling time interval shows that SVPWM-2
has lower switching compared to SVPWM-5 strategy and
leads to lower switching losses. On the other hand, both
of the PWM methods have the same voltage and current
THD approximately, and the generated electromagnetic
torque has lower ripple in SVPWM-5 method. However,
high frequency electromagnetic torque ripple can be
damped by the machine mechanical system specially in
larger machines. So, the symmetrical SPIM with
SVPWM-2 strategy can be a better configuration for sixphase
drive system. However, applying three-level
inverter in a six-phase drive system imposes additional
costs, but it leads to longer machine life time and a
considerable modification in efficiency due to CMV and
z-component currents elimination and lower switching
1. Nguyen, N.K., Meinguet, F., Semail, E. and Kestelyn, X., "Faulttolerant
short-circuit inverter fault", IEEE Transactions on
Industrial Electronics, Vol. 63, No. 1, (2015), 595-605.
2. Ericsen, T., "The ship power electronic revolution: Issues and
answers", in 2008 55th IEEE Petroleum and Chemical Industry
Technical Conference, IEEE., (2008), 1-11.
3. Levi, E., "Multiphase electric machines for variable-speed
applications", IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics,
Vol. 55, No. 5, (2008), 1893-1909.
4. Abbas, M.A., Christen, R. and Jahns, T.M., "Six-phase voltage
source inverter driven induction motor", IEEE Transactions on
Industry Applications, Vol., No. 5, (1984), 1251-1259.
5. Ariff, E.A.R.B.E. and Dordevic, O., "Space vector pwm
technique for a two-level asymmetrical six-phase drive", The
Journal of Engineering, Vol. 2019, No. 17, (2019), 3878-3883.
6. Ariff, E.A.R.E., Dordevic, O. and Jones, M., "A space vector
pwm technique for a three-level symmetrical six-phase drive",
IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 64, No. 11,
7. Kianinezhad, R., Nahid, B., Betin, F. and Capolino, G.-A.,
"Multi-vector svm: A new approach to space vector modulation
control for six-phase induction machines", in 31st Annual
Conference of IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, 2005. IECON
2005., IEEE., (2005).
8. Xu, L. and Ye, L., "Analysis of a novel stator winding structure
minimizing harmonic current and torque ripple for dual six-step
converter-fed high power ac machines", IEEE Transactions on
Industry Applications, Vol. 31, No. 1, (1995), 84-90.
9. Zhao, Y. and Lipo, T.A., "Space vector pwm control of dual threephase
induction machine using vector space decomposition",
IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 31, No. 5,
10. Karugaba, S., Muetze, A. and Ojo, O., "On the common-mode
voltage in multilevel multiphase single-and double-ended diodeclamped
voltage-source inverter systems", IEEE Transactions
on Industry Applications, Vol. 48, No. 6, (2012), 2079-2091.
11. Payami, S., Behera, R.K., Iqbal, A. and Al-Ammari, R.,
"Common-mode voltage and vibration mitigation of a five-phase
three-level npc inverter-fed induction motor drive system", IEEE
Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics,
Vol. 3, No. 2, (2014), 349-361.
12. Zhang, R., Wu, X. and Wang, T., "Analysis of common mode emi
for three-phase voltage source converters", in IEEE 34th Annual
Conference on Power Electronics Specialist, 2003. PESC'03.,
IEEE. Vol. 4, (2003), 1510-1515.
13. Liu, Z., Zheng, Z., Sudhoff, S.D., Gu, C. and Li, Y., "Reduction
of common-mode voltage in multiphase two-level inverters using
spwm with phase-shifted carriers", IEEE Transactions on Power
Electronics, Vol. 31, No. 9, (2015), 6631-6645.
14. Tan, C., Xiao, D., Fletcher, J.E. and Rahman, M.F., "Carrierbased
common-mode voltage reduction for
five-phase coupled inductor inverter", IEEE Transactions on
Industrial Electronics, Vol. 63, No. 1, (2015), 526-537.
15. Tan, C., Xiao, D., Fletcher, J.E. and Rahman, M.F., "Analytical
and experimental comparison of carrier-based pwm methods for
the five-phase coupled-inductor inverter", IEEE Transactions on
Industrial Electronics, Vol. 63, No. 12, (2016), 7328-7338.
16. Chen, K.-Y. and Hsieh, M.-S., "Generalized minimum commonmode
voltage pwm for two-level multiphase vsis considering
reference order", IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics,
Vol. 32, No. 8, (2016), 6493-6509.
17. López, Ó., Alvarez, J., Malvar, J., Yepes, A.G., Vidal, A.,
Baneira, F., Pérez-Estévez, D., Freijedo, F.D. and Doval-Gandoy,
J., "Space-vector pwm with common-mode voltage elimination
for multiphase drives", IEEE Transactions on Power
Electronics, Vol. 31, No. 12, (2016), 8151-8161.
18. Durán, M.J., Prieto, J., Barrero, F., Riveros, J.A. and Guzman, H.,
"Space-vector pwm with reduced common-mode voltage for fivephase
19. Duran, M.J., Prieto, J. and Barrero, F., "Space vector pwm with
reduced common-mode voltage for five-phase induction motor
drives operating in overmodulation zone", IEEE Transactions on
Power Electronics, Vol. 28, No. 8, (2012), 4030-4040.
20. Dabour, S.M., Abdel-Khalik, A.S., Ahmed, S., Massoud, A.M.
and Allam, S., "Common-mode voltage reduction for space vector
modulated three-to five-phase indirect matrix converter",
International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems,
Vol. 95, No., (2018), 266-274.
21. Zandzadeh, M.J., Kianinezhad, R. and Saniei, M., "Comparative
analysis of space vector pwm for six-phase induction motor
configurations based on common-mode voltage and current
losses", Iranian Journal of Science and Technology,
Transactions of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 43, No. 4, (2019),
22. Hadiouche, D., "Modelling of a double-star induction motor with
an arbitrary shift angle between its three phase windings", EPEPEMC'2000, Kosice, Slovak Republic, 5-7 September, Vol. 5, No., (2000), 125-130.
23. Kianinezhad, R., Nahid-Mobarakeh, B., Baghli, L., Betin, F. and
Capolino, G.-A., "Torque ripples suppression for six-phase
induction motors under open phase faults", in IECON 2006-32nd
Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics, IEEE.,